Skip to main content

CF Awareness month

It's May 1st! You know what that means...

CYSTIC FIBROSIS AWARENESS MONTH

That's right, folks. It's time to get the word out. Obviously, no one's stopping you from telling people about CF on a daily basis. However, the month of May is dedicated specifically to spreading the word about CF. CF is, plainly put, a disgusting disease that many people either haven't heard about or have the wrong impression about. When I tell people I have CF, the first response is usually "You're joking, right? You don't look sick." Thanks be to God that I look semi-healthy! I'm definitely not complaining about that. But at the same time, it's hard trying to explain to people the daily struggle I go through when I don't look like I'm fighting in the battle for my life.

I'm sick of feeling exhausted so much earlier than most of my friends and feeling like the party pooper for wanting to go to bed. I'm sick of trying to sneak pills into my mouth before meals when I am with people who don't know about my CF so I don't have to explain myself for the one thousandth time. I'm sick of constantly having to factor in breathing treatments into my schedule, squeezing them into my busy life. I'm sick of getting weird looks when I have anything medical with me or when I cough my typical CF cough (which is not very lady-like, if you know what I mean). Honestly, I'm just sick of being sick!! In my opinion, it's time for a cure to be found. I pray that you take this month to let others know about CF. If you have CF, be open and honest about your struggles. If you have a loved one with CF, tell others about this disease and how we can stop it. Change your profile picture to a CF awareness-related picture (just google CF Awareness Month, and there will be plenty of pictures). Wear purple (the CF awareness color) every day (or close to it) in the month of May so that you can explain to others about CF. Pray daily for a cure to be found...and soon! I challenge you to spread the word and raise awareness. Join me in fighting against CF, so that we can make CF stand for "cure found".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CF Letter 2019

Dear friends and family, I hope you all are having a happy and healthy 2019! The Great Strides CF Walk is just around the corner, and we are gearing up for a great walk day! Since my last CF Walk letter, my health has had its ups and downs. Just before the CF walk last year, I got the sickest I have been in awhile and had to fight off pneumonia with the help of 4 weeks of IVs. I also had to do IV antibiotics in August and November. However, I have stayed relatively healthy in 2019, and for that, I am extremely grateful! Although I’ve had to fight off 2 colds, my body has been able to get through it without needing IV antibiotics. While I know I will need another round of IVs eventually, I am thoroughly enjoying being IV free. I credit this to the amazing CF therapies available to me, my compliance to my treatments, and all of your prayers for my health. I continue to take 30+ pills a day including enzymes to digest my food, vitamins and supplements that my body cannot absorb ...

CF Letter 2020

Dear friends and family, It's May 2020, which means it is another CF Awareness month and another time to talk about all the amazing things happening in the CF world! This has been a very good year in the CF community. In October of 2019, Trikafta was approved by the FDA for all people with CF with at least one copy of the dF508 mutation. 90% of people with CF have at least one copy of this specific mutation. This is a HUGE deal in the CF community because it is one of a handful of drugs that addresses the underlying cause of CF and the only drug that such a huge percentage of people with CF can take. Trikafta is a total game-changer for so many, including me. I have gained stability, I require fewer IV antibiotics, I gained lung function I thought was long gone, and I feel like I can plan things in my life again. The hard work of the CF Foundation, willing researchers who continue to search for a cure and medicines that will increase quality of life, and the generous donations fr...

COVID-19

It's been a while since I've written. To be honest, I've missed it. Not for the likes or the comments, but because I do my best processing through writing. And, as we all know, there's a lot to process right now. I decided now would be a good time to jump back into writing while I have the time. It feels like the world is in chaos. Coronavirus has lots of people on edge. Many of us are quarantined to our houses. Scientists are telling us it's going to get worse before it gets better. I saw today that we might have to practice social distancing for a year or longer until there is a vaccine. A year?? Humans are designed for community and to be around one another. How are we supposed to live like this for a year or longer? Right now, we are just starting to figure out what it means to live in the time of coronavirus. There is still so much unknown, and that leaves many of us, myself included, feeling anxious. So today, I wanted to share some positive things I've ...