Skip to main content

News from my appointment

Everything at my appointment went fairly smoothly. My PFTs were down, as was my weight. Those were obviously negative aspects of the appointment. However, my doctor and I talked a little bit about CF research, and there is some incredible progress occurring!! As you may know, the FDA just recently approved a new drug to be released to the public that has shown to treat the cause, not the symptoms, of CF in patients with a specific mutation. Here's the link to the CF Foundation website that explains the medicine much better than I can explain it.

http://www.cff.org/treatments/Therapies/Kalydeco/

Anyway, Kalydeco is now being tested with another drug to help patients with the most common mutation that causes CF, deltaF508. This study is in phase 2 trials. My doctor told me at the appointment that I would qualify to be a study participant in these trials because I have one deltaF508 mutation, am over 17, and have PFTs that re above 40%. This is all SO SO SO exciting!! I would participate in a study like this in a heartbeat. This medicine doesn't just treat my symptoms. It could potentially treat the cause of my CF! Do you realize how exciting this is? I honestly never would have believed you if you had told me that scientists would have the potential to cure my CF in my lifetime if you had told me that a couple of years ago. But here we are, living in 2012, with absolutely incredible scientific discoveries occurring so quickly I can hardly keep up with them. I am praying for a cure, for the medicine to go through the trial studies as quickly as possible, for the FDA to approve the medicines quickly, and, if at all possible, for me to be able to participate in future studies. I'd appreciate it if you'd pray alongside me. We live in an exciting time, my friends!!

Comments

  1. Oh Emily!!! I wish you would publish your blog to your Facebook page so that everyone could celebrate this incredibe news with you!!
    I have had you in my daily prayer journals for years and will continue to have you there until you are cured and beyond!
    Your wisdom and faith inspire me constantly!!! -- Thank you for your boldness and your courage.
    Continually praying until CF is in the history books as a former illness that used to affect many!!! Love you precious one!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CF Letter 2019

Dear friends and family, I hope you all are having a happy and healthy 2019! The Great Strides CF Walk is just around the corner, and we are gearing up for a great walk day! Since my last CF Walk letter, my health has had its ups and downs. Just before the CF walk last year, I got the sickest I have been in awhile and had to fight off pneumonia with the help of 4 weeks of IVs. I also had to do IV antibiotics in August and November. However, I have stayed relatively healthy in 2019, and for that, I am extremely grateful! Although I’ve had to fight off 2 colds, my body has been able to get through it without needing IV antibiotics. While I know I will need another round of IVs eventually, I am thoroughly enjoying being IV free. I credit this to the amazing CF therapies available to me, my compliance to my treatments, and all of your prayers for my health. I continue to take 30+ pills a day including enzymes to digest my food, vitamins and supplements that my body cannot absorb ...

CF Letter 2020

Dear friends and family, It's May 2020, which means it is another CF Awareness month and another time to talk about all the amazing things happening in the CF world! This has been a very good year in the CF community. In October of 2019, Trikafta was approved by the FDA for all people with CF with at least one copy of the dF508 mutation. 90% of people with CF have at least one copy of this specific mutation. This is a HUGE deal in the CF community because it is one of a handful of drugs that addresses the underlying cause of CF and the only drug that such a huge percentage of people with CF can take. Trikafta is a total game-changer for so many, including me. I have gained stability, I require fewer IV antibiotics, I gained lung function I thought was long gone, and I feel like I can plan things in my life again. The hard work of the CF Foundation, willing researchers who continue to search for a cure and medicines that will increase quality of life, and the generous donations fr...

COVID-19

It's been a while since I've written. To be honest, I've missed it. Not for the likes or the comments, but because I do my best processing through writing. And, as we all know, there's a lot to process right now. I decided now would be a good time to jump back into writing while I have the time. It feels like the world is in chaos. Coronavirus has lots of people on edge. Many of us are quarantined to our houses. Scientists are telling us it's going to get worse before it gets better. I saw today that we might have to practice social distancing for a year or longer until there is a vaccine. A year?? Humans are designed for community and to be around one another. How are we supposed to live like this for a year or longer? Right now, we are just starting to figure out what it means to live in the time of coronavirus. There is still so much unknown, and that leaves many of us, myself included, feeling anxious. So today, I wanted to share some positive things I've ...