Skip to main content

Confession time

Okay, I have a confession to make.


I'm really not good at checking my blood sugar and keeping up with my Cystic Fibrosis Related Diabetes.

I have a really good perception of what my blood sugars are doing and can easily tell when they are high or low. I also know the typical pattern my blood sugars take.  And even though it doesn't take that long to check my levels, it's one more thing to think about. One more thing to keep track of. One more thing to have to remember. I have a diabetes appointment today, and honestly, I don't even know when the last time I checked my sugars at a normal time was (except for yesterday because I was trying to get numbers in my machine).When I can tell so easily when I'm low or high, it's no motivation to say that my health is suffering from not having those numbers, because it's not. It's also no motivation to say that the doctor could help me better if he had the data, because he really doesn't know how to help my CFRD. Because there's so little research about it, I've tried pretty much every diabetes medicine out there without much success. Now, I do a little bit of insulin in the morning, but my sugars are far from perfect.

It's no excuse that I'm not more on top of my CFRD. I know that it should become more of a priority. It's just so hard to focus on it when I am so bogged down with other more important stuff related to my health, like fitting in breathing treatments, gaining weight, taking my pills, and doing IV antibiotics. I'm not excited to go to my appointment this morning because I feel like it's a giant waste of time, but I have to have an endocrinologist, so I must go to the appointment. I don't know what the answer is to fixing my diabetes problem or how to make CFRD a bigger part of my health concerns, but I know I've got to get better about checking my sugars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exciting news!!

It's been awhile since I've written a blog post. This semester has been busy--not only because of school stuff, but also because of exciting life things. About a month ago, the most amazing man got down on one knee and asked me to marry him! And of course, I said yes!

Honestly, there were times that I questioned if I would ever marry someone. Living with cystic fibrosis is hard. Choosing to be with someone with cystic fibrosis is almost crazy. Think about it; I am not a normal 23 year old. I have to plan and plan and plan to make sure I fit breathing treatments, exercise, and eating into my schedule. When I travel, I have to take a crazy amount of stuff with me--my Vest, nebulizers, compressor, pills, inhaled medication, puffers, and snacks. I have to make sure I sleep 8-9 hours a night because my body uses more energy than most, and I need sleep to fight infection. I have to have a course of IVs at least twice a year. It's hard to be spontaneous and adventurous because CF…

End of semester update

The past few weeks have been rough.

I got a cold about 3 weeks ago. No big deal, right? I hadn't gotten a cold in 10 months, which is basically a record for me. Surely my body could fight a cold off. Boy, was I wrong. After a week of fighting the cold, I started running a high fever and felt like a truck had run me over. I finally called the doctor for some reinforcements and started on an oral antibiotic and a course of steroids. Meanwhile, my school semester had just picked up, and I was down to the last 2 weeks of school. I had to finish a research paper, take 2 finals, write a final progress report for my practicum, and give really good, productive therapy. After 4 days on the antibiotic and steroids (Monday with one week of school left), I still was feeling crummy. I checked my oxygen and noticed that it was low--running at about 90-94%. I'm pretty positive the cold had turned into pneumonia. Even walking from my bedroom to my living room made me winded. It took me two-th…

A note to incoming college freshman

Recently, I was talking to a young woman who will be starting her freshman year of college in August. She didn't ask for my advice, but I gave it anyway. I tend to do that sometimes--blame my desire to help other people succeed as best as I can, I guess. Anyway, that got me thinking, what would I write if I were completely honest and vulnerable with incoming college freshman? What would I tell them that no one else seems to tell them? My freshman year was only 5 years ago, so my memories are still fresh. I came up with a list of things I found out to be true my freshman year. They may not all be true for you, but I hope and pray you gain some insight out of the lessons I learned.

1. Join a church and get plugged in to a small group. This should be your first order of business the minute you step on campus. Besides, you know, finding your dorm room and where all your classes are. Getting in a small group was literally the best thing I did freshman year. Not only did I start forming…