Skip to main content

Esiason Webcast

Today, Novartis and the Boomer Esiason Foundation sponsored a webcast about CF patients planning for college and beyond. (If you would like to watch it, the webcast will be uploaded on the Boomer Esiason website in a few weeks). More CF patients are going to college, getting married, getting a job, and living into retirement. Because of this, CF patients need to think about the future and know how to balance CF with the craziness of life. There were three people who spoke on the webcast--Gunnar Esiason, who just graduated from Boston College, Ginny, a mother of two daughters with CF, and a CF social worker. It's encouraging to see these people managing CF with college and "grown-up life".  Because CF patients don't have much face-to-face contact, it's difficult to know how other CF patients are managing everything we must deal with. 

I loved several points said on the video. Gunnar, Ginny, and the social worker all stressed the importance of having strong social connections. CF is a hard enough disease by itself. We can't go at it alone. Having people around who know your medications and what they do, how CF affects you, and will gladly be an advocate for you and your health is so important for emotional and physical well-being. Sydney Esiason, Gunnar's sister, said something in the webcast that hit home for me--"Sometimes CF patients aren't as vocal about how they're feeling because they have a higher tolerance for sickness". Truth. This makes it difficult for us to open up, especially to non-CFers. However, having close friends in college who are there for you and who will ask you specifically how you're feeling is key to staying healthy and enjoying college life. 

Gunnar also seems very similar to me in the fact that he is very compliant with his treatments. His rule in college was to always do treatments before going out. As much as it is difficult sometimes, treatments  must come first. Keeping up your health is vital to having a good quality of life. 

All three members of the panel also spoke about signing up with the office of disabilities. Although all CF patients would love to think that they will make it a semester without getting sick or missing class, the probability of that is very small. I am a student with OALA at Baylor, which is the disabilities office. OALA gives me that extra security that I need because of my CF. I know that my professors will know about my health limits and will be willing to work with me. I also know Baylor is going to back me up when I need it most.

College is an exciting time, and I love that people in the young adult CF community as a whole are living longer and getting to have a more normal college experience. But we must also be aware of our limits. "Patients with CF cannot live like they're in an animal house, which most college students do." Wise words, Gunnar Esiason! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exciting news!!

It's been awhile since I've written a blog post. This semester has been busy--not only because of school stuff, but also because of exciting life things. About a month ago, the most amazing man got down on one knee and asked me to marry him! And of course, I said yes!

Honestly, there were times that I questioned if I would ever marry someone. Living with cystic fibrosis is hard. Choosing to be with someone with cystic fibrosis is almost crazy. Think about it; I am not a normal 23 year old. I have to plan and plan and plan to make sure I fit breathing treatments, exercise, and eating into my schedule. When I travel, I have to take a crazy amount of stuff with me--my Vest, nebulizers, compressor, pills, inhaled medication, puffers, and snacks. I have to make sure I sleep 8-9 hours a night because my body uses more energy than most, and I need sleep to fight infection. I have to have a course of IVs at least twice a year. It's hard to be spontaneous and adventurous because CF…

End of semester update

The past few weeks have been rough.

I got a cold about 3 weeks ago. No big deal, right? I hadn't gotten a cold in 10 months, which is basically a record for me. Surely my body could fight a cold off. Boy, was I wrong. After a week of fighting the cold, I started running a high fever and felt like a truck had run me over. I finally called the doctor for some reinforcements and started on an oral antibiotic and a course of steroids. Meanwhile, my school semester had just picked up, and I was down to the last 2 weeks of school. I had to finish a research paper, take 2 finals, write a final progress report for my practicum, and give really good, productive therapy. After 4 days on the antibiotic and steroids (Monday with one week of school left), I still was feeling crummy. I checked my oxygen and noticed that it was low--running at about 90-94%. I'm pretty positive the cold had turned into pneumonia. Even walking from my bedroom to my living room made me winded. It took me two-th…

A note to incoming college freshman

Recently, I was talking to a young woman who will be starting her freshman year of college in August. She didn't ask for my advice, but I gave it anyway. I tend to do that sometimes--blame my desire to help other people succeed as best as I can, I guess. Anyway, that got me thinking, what would I write if I were completely honest and vulnerable with incoming college freshman? What would I tell them that no one else seems to tell them? My freshman year was only 5 years ago, so my memories are still fresh. I came up with a list of things I found out to be true my freshman year. They may not all be true for you, but I hope and pray you gain some insight out of the lessons I learned.

1. Join a church and get plugged in to a small group. This should be your first order of business the minute you step on campus. Besides, you know, finding your dorm room and where all your classes are. Getting in a small group was literally the best thing I did freshman year. Not only did I start forming…