Skip to main content

Thankful Thursday

It's the third Thursday of November! It's crazy how fast this month is going. I have 7 new things that I'm thankful for this week. Enjoy :)

1. I'm thankful for the opportunity to participate in clinical trials. I recently got a call to participate in an awesome new Vertex study that has the potential to be an important discovery in the cf world (don't worry, I'll blog on this later). I'm so thankful that I have the time and the ability to participate in these studies and help make a difference in the cf community.

2. I'm thankful for scientists and researchers who have dedicated their lives to cf research. Without them, my life would be significantly different. I know cf isn't where the big bucks are, but I'm so thankful that there are people who are determined to find a cure!

3. I'm thankful for a good night of sleep. Sunday evening, I did not sleep well, and the next day, I was grouchy and struggled to stay awake in classes. I'm so thankful for the nights that I do sleep well and for all the great benefits of getting a good night of sleep.

4. I'm thankful for small victories. Yesterday at the gym, I was FINALLY able to jog for 1 minute and then walk for 1 minute for 20 minutes. I haven't been able to exercise that strenuously in awhile. Even though I would love to be able to run for longer than just a minute, I'm thankful for the small victories I see in my lung health.

5. I'm thankful for my UT Dallas professors who are kind, knowledgeable, and intelligent. I love learning from such an amazing group of clinical professionals.

6. I'm thankful for Pinterest so I can get new, creative therapy ideas!

7. I'm thankful for coffee. I definitely needed some extra caffeine this week, and I'm thankful for the simple joys of sipping on coffee in the mornings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exciting news!!

It's been awhile since I've written a blog post. This semester has been busy--not only because of school stuff, but also because of exciting life things. About a month ago, the most amazing man got down on one knee and asked me to marry him! And of course, I said yes!

Honestly, there were times that I questioned if I would ever marry someone. Living with cystic fibrosis is hard. Choosing to be with someone with cystic fibrosis is almost crazy. Think about it; I am not a normal 23 year old. I have to plan and plan and plan to make sure I fit breathing treatments, exercise, and eating into my schedule. When I travel, I have to take a crazy amount of stuff with me--my Vest, nebulizers, compressor, pills, inhaled medication, puffers, and snacks. I have to make sure I sleep 8-9 hours a night because my body uses more energy than most, and I need sleep to fight infection. I have to have a course of IVs at least twice a year. It's hard to be spontaneous and adventurous because CF…

End of semester update

The past few weeks have been rough.

I got a cold about 3 weeks ago. No big deal, right? I hadn't gotten a cold in 10 months, which is basically a record for me. Surely my body could fight a cold off. Boy, was I wrong. After a week of fighting the cold, I started running a high fever and felt like a truck had run me over. I finally called the doctor for some reinforcements and started on an oral antibiotic and a course of steroids. Meanwhile, my school semester had just picked up, and I was down to the last 2 weeks of school. I had to finish a research paper, take 2 finals, write a final progress report for my practicum, and give really good, productive therapy. After 4 days on the antibiotic and steroids (Monday with one week of school left), I still was feeling crummy. I checked my oxygen and noticed that it was low--running at about 90-94%. I'm pretty positive the cold had turned into pneumonia. Even walking from my bedroom to my living room made me winded. It took me two-th…

A note to incoming college freshman

Recently, I was talking to a young woman who will be starting her freshman year of college in August. She didn't ask for my advice, but I gave it anyway. I tend to do that sometimes--blame my desire to help other people succeed as best as I can, I guess. Anyway, that got me thinking, what would I write if I were completely honest and vulnerable with incoming college freshman? What would I tell them that no one else seems to tell them? My freshman year was only 5 years ago, so my memories are still fresh. I came up with a list of things I found out to be true my freshman year. They may not all be true for you, but I hope and pray you gain some insight out of the lessons I learned.

1. Join a church and get plugged in to a small group. This should be your first order of business the minute you step on campus. Besides, you know, finding your dorm room and where all your classes are. Getting in a small group was literally the best thing I did freshman year. Not only did I start forming…