Skip to main content

Semester Life Lessons

Yesterday, I finished my 7th semester at Baylor University. How in the world is that possible--it feels like yesterday that I finished my first semester of college! When I complete a chapter in my life, I like to look back over the time and reflect on the lessons God has taught me because it is a good way to process what I've learned. So, here are some lessons I've learned from my recent experiences.

1. Waiting is not a bad thing. Granted, I am not the most patient person in the world (it's something I'm working on). However, in my time of waiting, God is able to shape me more into the person He is making me. He is teaching me to trust Him fully and completely. I may be waiting on a whole bunch of different things--waiting to hear from grad schools, waiting for a relationship, waiting for a cure for CF, waiting to graduate, waiting for my grades to be posted from this semester--but God is good, and I am taking life one step at a time. If I always lived with the thought that "my life will be better when...", I would not enjoy the present, the daily blessings God has given me. As I enjoy each day, I am learning to trust God with my future, as well.

2. Living in community is incredibly important. I have three very close friends at Baylor who I share pretty much everything with. They love me unconditionally and encourage me when I'm upset. They challenge me when I need it and kindly correct me when I'm wrong. They have my back, no matter what. I love that God has given me these three friends to do life with!

3. Go to all the football games. I went to all the Baylor home games this year, rain or shine, and it was so much fun! I've never felt so connected to tens of thousands of people than through cheering on our team together. I'm sad that football season is over, but I will always be a Baylor football fan. Next up: basketball season, the sport that has had my heart since before I was born!

4. Take chances. I'm usually not a big risk taker. I like feeling secure and safe. I don't usually take leaps outside my comfort zone. Actually, I don't usually take baby steps outside my comfort zone. However, God is teaching me to that I need to take some risks in life. When you take risks, you step out in trust. You learn how to handle both success and failure. Plus, you never know what could happen if you take a risk every now and then.

5. One of the biggest joys in life occurs when your passion meets the world's needs. God has given you a specific love--use it to glorify Him and care for those around you.

6. Keep a prayer journal. That way, you know who and what to pray for.

7. The world is incredibly complex and full of unimaginable sadness and brokenness because we live in a fallen world. Therefore, take every opportunity to love others and care for them however possible. You never know how deeply someone is hurting.

8. Christ is enough. I've known that in my head, but I finally think I'm beginning to get what that actually means. Christ is enough, even if I don't have a stable job, even if I'm feeling lonely, even if something terrible happens in my life, even if the world is against me, even if I feel broken, Christ is enough! He alone sustains me. He is FOR me and will not forsake me.

These are just a few of the lessons I've learned this semester. I can't wait to see how God uses the lessons He's taught me in the future!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exciting news!!

It's been awhile since I've written a blog post. This semester has been busy--not only because of school stuff, but also because of exciting life things. About a month ago, the most amazing man got down on one knee and asked me to marry him! And of course, I said yes!

Honestly, there were times that I questioned if I would ever marry someone. Living with cystic fibrosis is hard. Choosing to be with someone with cystic fibrosis is almost crazy. Think about it; I am not a normal 23 year old. I have to plan and plan and plan to make sure I fit breathing treatments, exercise, and eating into my schedule. When I travel, I have to take a crazy amount of stuff with me--my Vest, nebulizers, compressor, pills, inhaled medication, puffers, and snacks. I have to make sure I sleep 8-9 hours a night because my body uses more energy than most, and I need sleep to fight infection. I have to have a course of IVs at least twice a year. It's hard to be spontaneous and adventurous because CF…

End of semester update

The past few weeks have been rough.

I got a cold about 3 weeks ago. No big deal, right? I hadn't gotten a cold in 10 months, which is basically a record for me. Surely my body could fight a cold off. Boy, was I wrong. After a week of fighting the cold, I started running a high fever and felt like a truck had run me over. I finally called the doctor for some reinforcements and started on an oral antibiotic and a course of steroids. Meanwhile, my school semester had just picked up, and I was down to the last 2 weeks of school. I had to finish a research paper, take 2 finals, write a final progress report for my practicum, and give really good, productive therapy. After 4 days on the antibiotic and steroids (Monday with one week of school left), I still was feeling crummy. I checked my oxygen and noticed that it was low--running at about 90-94%. I'm pretty positive the cold had turned into pneumonia. Even walking from my bedroom to my living room made me winded. It took me two-th…

A note to incoming college freshman

Recently, I was talking to a young woman who will be starting her freshman year of college in August. She didn't ask for my advice, but I gave it anyway. I tend to do that sometimes--blame my desire to help other people succeed as best as I can, I guess. Anyway, that got me thinking, what would I write if I were completely honest and vulnerable with incoming college freshman? What would I tell them that no one else seems to tell them? My freshman year was only 5 years ago, so my memories are still fresh. I came up with a list of things I found out to be true my freshman year. They may not all be true for you, but I hope and pray you gain some insight out of the lessons I learned.

1. Join a church and get plugged in to a small group. This should be your first order of business the minute you step on campus. Besides, you know, finding your dorm room and where all your classes are. Getting in a small group was literally the best thing I did freshman year. Not only did I start forming…