The human body is truly amazing. Have you ever thought about what all has to happen in order for you to just survive? We don't think about the everyday work our body does unless we have a medical problem. Let's think about the incredible nature of the human body for a second.
1. We shed 1.5 pounds of skin cells a year, yet we always have a protective covering of skin covering us.
2. Ears maintain our sense of balance and spatial regulations.
3. The human nose can distinguish an average of 10,000 different smells.
4. There are 10 billion capillaries in the human body.
5. Blood circulated through the entire body in less than a minute.
6. The human stomach can stretch up to 20 times its normal size after a meal.
7. The skeletal system can hold up to 20 times our body weight.
8. Yet the skeletal system is also light enough to "defy gravity" for a few seconds.
9. The lungs filter oxygen and waste with every breath we take.
10. Bones last a lifetime.
11. We have the ability to reproduce and birth a completely new, unique individual.
12. We intake sights, sounds, tastes, smells, and touch stimulants effortlessly.
13. We can generate language at the drop of a hat.
14. Nerves send signals throughout the body to relay important information.
15. The heart beats between 60-100 times per minute.
And that doesn't even begin to cover all the different jobs our bodies do on a daily basis! It honestly blows my mind to think about how amazing living creatures are. I couldn't have planned the design of mankind this perfectly, no matter how hard I try!
I'm thankful that although I don't understand how every process in the body works, I have a God who knows every single detail about me and understands my body's quirks and qualities intimately.