Skip to main content

Exciting news!!

It's been awhile since I've written a blog post. This semester has been busy--not only because of school stuff, but also because of exciting life things. About a month ago, the most amazing man got down on one knee and asked me to marry him! And of course, I said yes!

Honestly, there were times that I questioned if I would ever marry someone. Living with cystic fibrosis is hard. Choosing to be with someone with cystic fibrosis is almost crazy. Think about it; I am not a normal 23 year old. I have to plan and plan and plan to make sure I fit breathing treatments, exercise, and eating into my schedule. When I travel, I have to take a crazy amount of stuff with me--my Vest, nebulizers, compressor, pills, inhaled medication, puffers, and snacks. I have to make sure I sleep 8-9 hours a night because my body uses more energy than most, and I need sleep to fight infection. I have to have a course of IVs at least twice a year. It's hard to be spontaneous and adventurous because CF really doesn't allow for that. CF is progressive, meaning my health is just going to become a bigger, more frustrating part of my life. Yet my fiancé still loves me and still chooses me. I told you he might be slightly crazy! ;)

One silver lining of CF is it's a great filtering process for relationships. I never had a relationship really before my fiancé. I'm pretty sure my CF scared guys off, which I'm ok with. Better to scare people off who can't handle a health crisis before getting into a relationship than to be in a serious, committed relationship when the guy realizes he can't handle it. Many people with CF are now getting married and having families because of all the great CF research and therapies available. But CF is still a big thing to choose to deal with, and no average (or less than average) person will willingly take that on. My fiancé is incredible, as is every significant other of a person with CF.

Note: I'm not saying that people with CF don't have something great to offer their partners, because we definitely do. We each have our own unique passions and talents, just like everyone else. We also tend to pursue a life worth living because we know how precious life is. We often love fiercely and forgive quickly because we know tomorrow is not guaranteed. We are loyal to the people who choose to stick by our sides through thick and thin. However, I am saying that the people who choose to get close to us (friends, significant others, and family members) are amazing people and tend to be the most caring people you will ever meet. They're not scared off by a diagnosis or by a theoretical life expectancy, and they are some of the best encouragers I know. I am truly blessed to have found a man who loves me and cares for me like my fiancé does. Not only that, but I also have some of the best family members and friends a girl could ask for. I thank God every day for surrounding me with such amazing people!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

End of semester update

The past few weeks have been rough.

I got a cold about 3 weeks ago. No big deal, right? I hadn't gotten a cold in 10 months, which is basically a record for me. Surely my body could fight a cold off. Boy, was I wrong. After a week of fighting the cold, I started running a high fever and felt like a truck had run me over. I finally called the doctor for some reinforcements and started on an oral antibiotic and a course of steroids. Meanwhile, my school semester had just picked up, and I was down to the last 2 weeks of school. I had to finish a research paper, take 2 finals, write a final progress report for my practicum, and give really good, productive therapy. After 4 days on the antibiotic and steroids (Monday with one week of school left), I still was feeling crummy. I checked my oxygen and noticed that it was low--running at about 90-94%. I'm pretty positive the cold had turned into pneumonia. Even walking from my bedroom to my living room made me winded. It took me two-th…

A note to incoming college freshman

Recently, I was talking to a young woman who will be starting her freshman year of college in August. She didn't ask for my advice, but I gave it anyway. I tend to do that sometimes--blame my desire to help other people succeed as best as I can, I guess. Anyway, that got me thinking, what would I write if I were completely honest and vulnerable with incoming college freshman? What would I tell them that no one else seems to tell them? My freshman year was only 5 years ago, so my memories are still fresh. I came up with a list of things I found out to be true my freshman year. They may not all be true for you, but I hope and pray you gain some insight out of the lessons I learned.

1. Join a church and get plugged in to a small group. This should be your first order of business the minute you step on campus. Besides, you know, finding your dorm room and where all your classes are. Getting in a small group was literally the best thing I did freshman year. Not only did I start forming…