Skip to main content

Catch up post

If you've been wondering where I've been, don't worry, I'm still alive and well! The past few months have been a bit crazy, and I don't expect it to get much calmer anytime soon. So, to catch you up...

I started school in August. That's been going really well. If you've read any of my past posts, you know I'm a nerd and love learning, and I thoroughly enjoy school. Sure, taking tests can be a pain when they all fall within a week of each other, but I like the challenge of showing off what I've learned. Call me crazy, but it's true. My classes are interesting, and I'm continuing to expand my knowledge on a daily basis. I'm blessed by the privilege of getting to learn from some amazing professors who really care about their students at a school that pushes students to do everything with excellence. Next week, I register for my final semester as an undergraduate. I can hardly believe that I'll be walking the stage to receive my college diploma in just a few short months!! Time flies. Education isn't the only thing that pumps me up about Baylor, though. Going to football games this season has been so much fun! The new stadium, McLane Stadium, is fantastic, and I have seen or been at every Baylor football game thus far. I love supporting my Bears in all sports as much as I can!

My health has been decent. A few weeks ago, I had a scary incident when I started coughing up blood completely out of the blue. However, after that one lung bleed, which lasted for a little less than a week, I haven't had any other major issues. I had an appointment with my CF doctor last week. My PFTs (pulmonary function tests) were at 58%, and while I'd rather them have been in the 60s%, 58% is stable. My weight is stable as well (that's a rare occasion--yay!), and I've been keeping up with my exercise and treatments as always. I'm planning on starting IVs in November around Thanksgiving and will finish them up right after I get home for Christmas break. Because of the flu/pneumonia/hospital incident from last Christmas, I'm hesitant to try to make it until Christmas break to start IVs. Thanksgiving is closer than Christmas break, but my body will have some time to adjust to the IV medication before finishing up the semester (so--I'll be throwing up all Thanksgiving break, but I'll hopefully be finished feeling sick to my stomach by the time Thanksgiving break is over). For the first time in I don't know how long, maybe I'll get to go all Christmas break without IVs! We shall see.

I'm extremely grateful this semester to have grown closer to some amazing people. Most of these people go to my church, and some are in my small group. These dear people have taught me how to be a true friend and what it looks like to live in adult friendship relationships. I learn from them every day and am constantly encouraged by them. My college experience would be completely different if they weren't in my life! God is good to me to give me such quality friends.

I've also been busy with Sigma Phi Lambda. Phi Lamb is a Christian sorority that I am a part of on Baylor's campus. This year, I am the chaplain for Phi Lamb. I love the opportunity to lead the chapter spiritually and have good conversations with girls who need someone to talk to. I've been able to have awesome, intentional time with God, which has been healthy for me spiritually as well as for the chapter as I lead them through different aspects of following Christ.

I think that about catches you up on my life. This semester has been far from perfect, and you won't see me ignoring the hardships I, as well as many others, have faced. BUT I know that in all things, God is good, and He is great. Even when I don't understand what's going on in the world around me or in my own life, I'm grateful to follow a God who is sovereign over everything and who will never leave me.

Here's to finishing the rest of the semester strong!


Popular posts from this blog

CF limits

I was always told I could do anything.

That CF couldn't stop me.

That, even though my day to day life looked a little different with treatments and pills and hospitalizations, I could still be "normal".

I'm finding out now that's not necessarily the case.

Growing up, I knew I was different, but I still functioned like a normal kid. The only time I remember CF limiting me was my freshman and sophomore years in high school. My doctor, mom, and I made the decision to sit out of marching band my freshman year and to keep me on the sidelines running the metronome and helping how I could without actually participating my sophomore year. Junior year I was finally able to join marching band, and my senior year I was a drum major, so CF didn't limit me that much by the end of it all. I finished college in four years with a major, a minor, honors, and summa cum laude. I am in grad school now and will graduate on time summa cum laude with my masters in speech pathology.…

Exciting news!!

It's been awhile since I've written a blog post. This semester has been busy--not only because of school stuff, but also because of exciting life things. About a month ago, the most amazing man got down on one knee and asked me to marry him! And of course, I said yes!

Honestly, there were times that I questioned if I would ever marry someone. Living with cystic fibrosis is hard. Choosing to be with someone with cystic fibrosis is almost crazy. Think about it; I am not a normal 23 year old. I have to plan and plan and plan to make sure I fit breathing treatments, exercise, and eating into my schedule. When I travel, I have to take a crazy amount of stuff with me--my Vest, nebulizers, compressor, pills, inhaled medication, puffers, and snacks. I have to make sure I sleep 8-9 hours a night because my body uses more energy than most, and I need sleep to fight infection. I have to have a course of IVs at least twice a year. It's hard to be spontaneous and adventurous because CF…

End of semester update

The past few weeks have been rough.

I got a cold about 3 weeks ago. No big deal, right? I hadn't gotten a cold in 10 months, which is basically a record for me. Surely my body could fight a cold off. Boy, was I wrong. After a week of fighting the cold, I started running a high fever and felt like a truck had run me over. I finally called the doctor for some reinforcements and started on an oral antibiotic and a course of steroids. Meanwhile, my school semester had just picked up, and I was down to the last 2 weeks of school. I had to finish a research paper, take 2 finals, write a final progress report for my practicum, and give really good, productive therapy. After 4 days on the antibiotic and steroids (Monday with one week of school left), I still was feeling crummy. I checked my oxygen and noticed that it was low--running at about 90-94%. I'm pretty positive the cold had turned into pneumonia. Even walking from my bedroom to my living room made me winded. It took me two-th…