Skip to main content

Good

"Do not grow weary in doing good." 2 Thessalonians 3:13

I don't know about you, but I definitely feel like I need this reminder every once in awhile. It's so easy to get into the mindset of "Okay, I did my one good deed for the day, so I can check that off the list." However, God did not call us to do one good thing a day. Through Paul, He said "do not grow weary in doing good." To me, this signifies constantly doing good, not just an act here or there.

As Christians, we exemplify God's character to the world. He is perfectly and amazingly good, ALL the time. Therefore, we should do good so that the world can see how great a God we serve. So often, people (including myself) struggle to do good. It can grow tiresome, especially when the things of this world always seem to be beating us down, no matter what we do. In addition, it can be hard to do good when we are not recognized for our actions. The world tells us we should get public praise for any good that we do. Just look at the most recent news stories or celebrity gossip articles. If I'm being completely honest, I have sometimes bought into the lie that people need to recognize my actions. Yet Jesus tells us just the opposite. In Matthew 6:1, He says this:"Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven."

What does it mean to do good? I think it means following the Holy Spirit in word and deed, always striving to live as Christ would. There's no specific formula for doing good. There's no checklist, no exact model for every single situation. Luke 6:27-28 says this: "But I say to you who hear, love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you." I think doing goodness is representing Christ in every single thing you do.

So I echo Paul's challenge to you today: Do not grow weary in doing good. Have a great Saturday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CF Letter 2019

Dear friends and family, I hope you all are having a happy and healthy 2019! The Great Strides CF Walk is just around the corner, and we are gearing up for a great walk day! Since my last CF Walk letter, my health has had its ups and downs. Just before the CF walk last year, I got the sickest I have been in awhile and had to fight off pneumonia with the help of 4 weeks of IVs. I also had to do IV antibiotics in August and November. However, I have stayed relatively healthy in 2019, and for that, I am extremely grateful! Although I’ve had to fight off 2 colds, my body has been able to get through it without needing IV antibiotics. While I know I will need another round of IVs eventually, I am thoroughly enjoying being IV free. I credit this to the amazing CF therapies available to me, my compliance to my treatments, and all of your prayers for my health. I continue to take 30+ pills a day including enzymes to digest my food, vitamins and supplements that my body cannot absorb ...

CF Letter 2020

Dear friends and family, It's May 2020, which means it is another CF Awareness month and another time to talk about all the amazing things happening in the CF world! This has been a very good year in the CF community. In October of 2019, Trikafta was approved by the FDA for all people with CF with at least one copy of the dF508 mutation. 90% of people with CF have at least one copy of this specific mutation. This is a HUGE deal in the CF community because it is one of a handful of drugs that addresses the underlying cause of CF and the only drug that such a huge percentage of people with CF can take. Trikafta is a total game-changer for so many, including me. I have gained stability, I require fewer IV antibiotics, I gained lung function I thought was long gone, and I feel like I can plan things in my life again. The hard work of the CF Foundation, willing researchers who continue to search for a cure and medicines that will increase quality of life, and the generous donations fr...

COVID-19

It's been a while since I've written. To be honest, I've missed it. Not for the likes or the comments, but because I do my best processing through writing. And, as we all know, there's a lot to process right now. I decided now would be a good time to jump back into writing while I have the time. It feels like the world is in chaos. Coronavirus has lots of people on edge. Many of us are quarantined to our houses. Scientists are telling us it's going to get worse before it gets better. I saw today that we might have to practice social distancing for a year or longer until there is a vaccine. A year?? Humans are designed for community and to be around one another. How are we supposed to live like this for a year or longer? Right now, we are just starting to figure out what it means to live in the time of coronavirus. There is still so much unknown, and that leaves many of us, myself included, feeling anxious. So today, I wanted to share some positive things I've ...