Skip to main content

Everyone has a Story

If you get to know me, you'll know that I love watching the Today show. That's pretty much my source of information. Actually, let me rephrase that. I have to read the New York Times for the Baylor Interdisciplinary Core, but my preferred source of information is definitely the Today show. I can watch it while doing a treatment, getting ready in the morning, or running while at the gym. So, basically, I watch it pretty often. Anyway, Kathie Lee Gifford and Hoda Kotb (who are on the Today show in the last hour) have a mini-series called "Everyone has a Story." On Thursday, Kathie Lee and Hoda highlighted Kaitlyn Slomski in this series, a young woman with epilepsy. I won't go into details with her story so you can watch it for yourself, but I think that many people with CF can relate to her story and the song that the Today show honored her with. Here's a link to the clip:

http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/46238048

How true that series title is! "Everyone has a story." We people with CF know this to be true. We may look perfectly healthy from the outside, but inside, we are fighting a dreary, difficult battle for our lives. And no one would know unless they ask about our life story or we volunteer the information. Just so, people you and I pass on a daily basis have such a unique story that you don't know or understand until you ask! So life lesson for the day? Don't judge a book by its cover. Get to know people. Ask questions. Show your interest in learning about a person's life. And most importantly, remember that everyone has a unique, beautifully woven story!

Comments

  1. Those of us who know your story, know that that song could have just as easily been sung about you!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CF Letter 2019

Dear friends and family, I hope you all are having a happy and healthy 2019! The Great Strides CF Walk is just around the corner, and we are gearing up for a great walk day! Since my last CF Walk letter, my health has had its ups and downs. Just before the CF walk last year, I got the sickest I have been in awhile and had to fight off pneumonia with the help of 4 weeks of IVs. I also had to do IV antibiotics in August and November. However, I have stayed relatively healthy in 2019, and for that, I am extremely grateful! Although I’ve had to fight off 2 colds, my body has been able to get through it without needing IV antibiotics. While I know I will need another round of IVs eventually, I am thoroughly enjoying being IV free. I credit this to the amazing CF therapies available to me, my compliance to my treatments, and all of your prayers for my health. I continue to take 30+ pills a day including enzymes to digest my food, vitamins and supplements that my body cannot absorb ...

CF Letter 2020

Dear friends and family, It's May 2020, which means it is another CF Awareness month and another time to talk about all the amazing things happening in the CF world! This has been a very good year in the CF community. In October of 2019, Trikafta was approved by the FDA for all people with CF with at least one copy of the dF508 mutation. 90% of people with CF have at least one copy of this specific mutation. This is a HUGE deal in the CF community because it is one of a handful of drugs that addresses the underlying cause of CF and the only drug that such a huge percentage of people with CF can take. Trikafta is a total game-changer for so many, including me. I have gained stability, I require fewer IV antibiotics, I gained lung function I thought was long gone, and I feel like I can plan things in my life again. The hard work of the CF Foundation, willing researchers who continue to search for a cure and medicines that will increase quality of life, and the generous donations fr...

COVID-19

It's been a while since I've written. To be honest, I've missed it. Not for the likes or the comments, but because I do my best processing through writing. And, as we all know, there's a lot to process right now. I decided now would be a good time to jump back into writing while I have the time. It feels like the world is in chaos. Coronavirus has lots of people on edge. Many of us are quarantined to our houses. Scientists are telling us it's going to get worse before it gets better. I saw today that we might have to practice social distancing for a year or longer until there is a vaccine. A year?? Humans are designed for community and to be around one another. How are we supposed to live like this for a year or longer? Right now, we are just starting to figure out what it means to live in the time of coronavirus. There is still so much unknown, and that leaves many of us, myself included, feeling anxious. So today, I wanted to share some positive things I've ...